Sunday, March 1, 2009

Spring Tulips Card

At first, I was a little overwhelmed by the number of colors in Kristina Werner's Color Inspiration Challenge #43, but I decided the best way to incorporate them all without any of them being too overpowering was to use a line-art image. I choose the spring tulips from Flowers for All Seasons for this 3-1/2" x 5" card.

I used Classic ink pads and a blender pen to color the image. It's hard to tell in the photo, but I used a Stampin' Dimensional under the bird to pop it out. I felt like it got lost again the brown basket otherwise.

I punched the image with the 1-3/4" Circle Punch. I wanted to add a scallop layer behind it and since my punch was too small, I cut it into pieces and adhered it to the back of my circle. Worked like a charm!

Supplies: Flowers for All Seasons, Short & Sweet, Chocolate Chip ink & cardstock, Pumpkin Pie ink & cardstock, Ruby Red ink, Old Olive marker, Brocade Blue ink, Versamark, Blender Pen, Winter White embossing powder, 5/8" Olive Grosgrain ribbon, Sweet Slumber Textured DSP, 1-3/4" Circle Punch, Scallop Circle Punch, Stampin' Dimensionals

14 comments:

Jackie said...

Beautiful card, I love it! Brilliant idea about the scallop, too, thanks for sharing that!

Stacey Schafer said...

lovin' this one, julie! the bigger scallop tutorial is awesome:)

Caryl P said...

Wow, what a unique way to make the scallop work. Thanks for sharing! I love how you attacked the color challenge too, your design makes it work wonderfully.

Anonymous said...

Such a cute card. Great colouring and love the layout. The bluebird is adorable!

Melisa Hunter

Anonymous said...

Love your card Julie! SO clever

Nerine .P. said...

Hi Julie,

I love stopping by your blog to see what you've been up too and today's no exception. Love this card and the colours are fantastic together.

KatieTurtle said...

Great Card! Your coloring was fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Love your card! Great idea to make the scallop punch work on a larger circle. Thanks!

Nancy L. said...

Such a cute beautiful card!
Thanks for the tip on the scallop punch!

Anonymous said...

Oh, you made a gorgeous card using all of these colors! I love it!

Anonymous said...

hi Julie love your card....this stamp set is my favorite at the moment...you know how that goes! LOL Lovely card~Donna

Selene Kempton said...

Wow! This one is gorgeous!!! I love what you did and you are right, the bird really makes the basket pop

Diane said...

very very very nice

Desiree said...

So cute, I love how you used the colors together. TFS!