Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Diorama/Shadow Box Card

I hope you're not sick of the owl yet, because here's another card using my favorite feathered friend. I have seen many versions of this card and certainly did not come up with this on my own. I've seen it called both a "diorama card" and a "shadow box card" -- so take your pick of names. The best part is that it folds flat to mail it a regular envelope!

Here's a view from the top when the card is open:

Supplies: Owl Together Now, Classic Backgrounds (small stars stamp), Dots are Hot (large circle/moon), So Saffron Classic & Craft ink pads, So Saffron cardstock, Night of Navy cardstock, Whisper White cardstock, Earth Elements markers, Small Star Punch, Coluzzle, Paper Cutter with scoring blade

Instructions:
  1. Start with (2) 4-1/4" x 5-1/2" pieces of cardstock. (I used Whisper White for the base and Night of Navy for the top piece.) Score each piece of cardstock at 1/2" and 1" from both ends.
  2. Use the Coluzzle to cut a circle in the center of the top piece of cardstock. I centered the template and then cut the fourth circle in. (one track in from the 1" score line.)
  3. Line up the Top piece over the base of the card and stamp your focal image. (I stamped the large circle from "Dots Are Hot" as my moon, then moved the top piece and stamped the owl in Basic Black.
  4. Fold on all score lines to create the open shape of the top and base pieces of cardstock. (See photo below.) Put sticky strip on the edges of the base cardstock and adhere the two pieces together. (I think it's easier to actually adhere them together while the cardstock is flat, but fold on the score lines first so that it's easier to fold/open the card after you have adhered it together.)
  5. Add additional embellishments as desired to the front of the of the card.

3 comments:

Tara Kieninger said...

Love it!

S & M said...

Beautiful blog (of course)!
Also, wanted to say that I love the hat in the pic. Lookin' good as usual.
Do I have permission to put a link to your blog on my blog?
-Sarah

Meg said...

love the owls, Julie!!